Saturday, January 24, 2009

Temptation

Galatians 6:1 (New International Version)

Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently.
But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.

Galatians 6:1-3 (The Message)

Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.


Wow, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the bible frontwards, backwards, inside & out. And I actually never read this before.
It really makes me think about past times when I know that people are going through tough times and I'm trying to encourage them. Especially recently I know that I've been tempted with wanting to drink and smoke. And usually it's really a big turn off for me because I don't like the smell of either. Annnd all my life, the people around me who did those things seemed totally out of control and I didn't want to live my life that way.

I used to judge all the time but I know that while my weakness may not be drinking, or smoking - I have my false comforters. The tv, internet, foooood... And like I said recently I felt like drinking and smoking which many people don't know but some do. I didn't know where it came from but I did have compassion on those around me who struggled with the same things. And now that I know the scripture above I will be more aware of the temptations and pulls around me - especially when I'm trying to encourage those around me not to do the same [in a LOVING way of course!] : )

No comments: