Sunday, December 28, 2008

Oh What a Night...

I'm not getting into the details of what's going on but I really got to thinking about where I am now and being a teenager. I was doing some research and I came across something that really made me think. It put words to my feelings and what I've been trying to say all along in different situations...

 These are not the exact words, it was a whole article but to sum it up here's my take on it:

Adults don't handle things well a lot of the time so why are there such high expectations on teenagers to make good decisions. I kept saying that I know how I deal with my issues, I turn to food. It's more socially acceptable in ways. But I know underneath everything in everyone there are issues. Un-delt issues that need to be...well...delt with. I STILL don't know how to do it. But I'm hoping when I figure it all out I can help other people do the same. I definitely know you have to take one day at a time. It's good to plan and set goals but if it's too much it's extremely overwhelming. 

There are a lot of times when I feel depressed and I know I have no reason to. And I'm wondering if this is all for a reason. Is this part of my journey? Something I need to experience to have compassion on others? Because I feel like I'm getting there and I do a little more each day. Don't get me wrong, I still judge at times even though my heart doesn't want to. I just want everyone to 'follow the rules' even though I don't do it either. People will do what they want to do. 

There's soooo much going on around me and in me and I just want to help them...and especially myself. It's like that airplane rule. You take the oxygen for yourself before you give it to the child because you'll be useless if you try and give it to the child first and you pass out....or something like that. I know I need to focus on what's going on with me and deal with it. I know my issues and I know I need to face them head on, one-by-one. I need to be strong and I need discipline. I really do not like it but I know it's so good for you. 

You look at children, if they're not disciplined they're out of control and bratty. I know I'm doing an injustice to my kids when I let things go...and let them get away with stuff they shouldn't. It may be hard but I need to keep reminding myself that if I don't deal with it now then later on it's going to be that much harder. 

This all is still a bit overwhelming but it really gives me a little more compassion on teenagers...it wasn't that long ago that I was one hahaha. But there's something there that I feel called to...in a way. 

I'm on my way...
So before you look down on a young person for acting...like a teenager - 
think first how you dealt with things at their age...and then think how you deal with things now.
I'm in no way saying it's ok to let people get away with things and letting it go. Like I said discipline is good and healthy. I'm just saying let's try not to judge. It's too easy to point the finger at someone else.  

No comments: