Thursday, December 5, 2013

It just takes one

I had a HORRIBLE math home tutor who flat out told me I should've thought about my options and that I had a whole life ahead of me that I was ruining because I was going to have a baby. (mind you I was 7/8 months pregnant at that point) I know she meant well because she saw that I wasn't stupid, but I went from getting straight A's that year, to failing my math final. I know for sure that the majority of that had to do with the fact that I couldn't focus with her around being so opinionated on my life - so I put my guard up. (I guess I still haven't let that go because it still gets me angry when I think about it)

On the other hand I also had Ms. Miller - a strong, compassionate and kind army reserve who even came to my baby shower. She was a great person and I'm thankful I met her.  Then there was Mr. Richardson. He kept pushing me in the best supportive way ever by advising me to take extra credits so I could graduate a half year early with honors. In the middle of that time period, I got married and then had my first son Joshua at 17 years old -  so I was a sleep deprived, newly married teen mom. Exhausted and overwhelmed is an understatement. I so wanted to just do the minimal (and I'm sure I had days when I didn't even want to do that) but I pushed through and completed it! Not many teenage mothers can say they graduated high school, let alone do it early & with honors. I was very fortunate to have a supportive husband, family and friends. I will be forever thankful to the good teachers/home tutors because they really do make a difference. I wish there were more out there. They spend the majority of the time with the kids that are entrusted to them and they can either build them up or tear them down. I've had my share of good and bad teachers but unfortunately the bad & so-so ones outweigh the great ones.  However, I see that just one great teacher can make a whole world of difference. I could've been another statistic but Mr. Richardson saw the potential in me and drew that out and I will always remember him for it. He shared life stories, laughs and his love for mallomars and it's an honor that I met him. I'm so very thankful.

Over the course of time, random things would remind me of him, and his encouragement during a really hard & stressful time of my life. 2003 was the year that Mr. Richardson retired and then moved across country to California to be closer to his family. We've been out of touch for a very long time (over a decade!) and I even tried to google him a few times to thank him. I was really happy that I had the opportunity to see him again a few weeks ago when he came to Long Island for a visit. I saw the outpour of love from his former students and it stressed again how great of a teacher he was and the impact he made in the lives of the ones around him. I want to do the same to those around me. I want to be that one.

Thank you again Mr. Richardson, you are & will always be a great teacher.




1 comment:

cnjkonior said...

He was great - he loved my Christmas decorating skill! Lol