Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Can You Graduate Church?

Tom just posted this tonight and it really made me think about stuff I've been thinking about all week.

Church Alumni


This is what I replied to Tom's post on Facebook about the video:

I think the one thing I don't like about "church, the building" is that when someone doesn't show up or attend it leaves another area to start to judging that person. God knows the person's heart. He can still speak to them, even if they're going through a really rocky time and aren't coming because they've been hurt or whatever. Maybe if they are keeping they're relationship with Jesus on Sunday morning and they go to the supermarket or the park, it could be a way to open up and show love and kindness, instead of all the Christians being in a building at the same time. This past week I've been constantly thinking how church, the way it is and has been is not biblical (if you think about the way Jesus did it!). It doesn't say go to the building from this time to this time, worship for an hour and listen to the bible readings" He walked around, ate with people, talked, shared life and stories, he prayed for people, loved people etc. I'm ALL about community and getting together. I love people and being around them (most of the time haha) I love worshiping with people and praying together. But that all really could be done outside a building...

BUT... I LOVE my church and pastor so I really wouldn't want to stop going : ( hahaha.
I feel so alive and happy after getting together with everyone, especially the way things have been going.

...But I'm all about mixing it up.

I do want to add, that I totally think church can be good thing. I'm definitely not anti-church at all! Especially when you have great children's and youth programs that I've seen and experienced in the past or messages that make you think throughout the week. But relationship with Jesus shouldn't be a once a week thing on Sunday mornings although I am guilty of that some weeks. Same with raising kids to know God. They shouldn't just hear it in children's church. I know if there were real authentic and honest relationships then even those needs could be met among friends because I think it is so so so important to be accountable to someone, have people to pray and encourage and build you up. And when you are going through a rough time, they will be the same people to speak the truth in love and I think you'll be able to receive and really hear it.

1 comment:

Cindy Campbell said...

I sooo agree. Jesus didn't say,"Go to Temple and I'll see you." He did go to Temple (or synagogue) but he didn't spend the majority of his time there. (He knew they would be in the Upper Room of the synogogue on Pentacost because it was a religious holiday and they gathered on those holy days at temple!) He interacted with the unlovely (think about it-most of the disciples were fishermen- sailors!) And these were his friends. I think we should still have a common meeting place- but not only have church inside church! I think you have a point- people probably notice when I am absent, but they do not always realise where I am. I have either soccer games or illness, or a conference ocasionally but I need to take care of my family, encourage their athletic endeavors, and meet with God in other places! All of these things are what God wants me to do. I do not think I agree with no church or accountability at all, but I think Church does exist outside the church building.