Thursday, June 23, 2011

Over and Over - Behind the Music





I started writing this song the morning after I hung out with Jeannine in her hotel room while she was visiting Queens Thursday - March 31st, 2011.
For those reading who don't know who Jeannine is well let me tell you... :) I've known her & Paul as long as I've been in NY... since 5th grade. Can't think of the year but I think it's been at least 15 years. She was my youth leader back in the day, my hair dresser & my friend :) I love her and her family. They moved to MA a few years ago so I try to see them at least once a year cause I miss them lots. I have so many great things to say about her and her family about how talented musically and artistically they are but that would take up a whole other blog. Ooo!!! but if you want to hear her songwriting and singing click here: http://www.jeannineadipietro.com/ & if you want her CD you can order it here: http://www.mwbridge.com/resources_detail.aspx?id=3 and to see some of Paul and Jeannine's artwork go here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Artmisphere-Paolo-Adipietro/142468512473923?sk=wall

So anyway!...
We stayed up talking with my mom about what she was going through with her oldest daughter Azaria. Azaria had been having stomach problems and have been through many doctors, hospitals & diets trying to figure out the cause and solution with no real answers. I could tell that it was frustrating and tiring and I wish I could've helped somehow. I got home really late so the next morning I was running on 4 hours of sleep. haha The first version I wrote/recorded on my iPhone sadly got lost when my phone bugged out but I remembered the main part and had been working on "re-writing it" It unfortunately lost some of it's raw/realness in the re-writing process but I still like it overall. A few people heard the original including Tim, Tom, Sarah & my Mom.

I was thinking about everything Jeannine and Paul has been through with Azaria and I was praying for their family and I started singing "over & over, you are faithful - over & over, you are good"
And it led to "you have the best for me when I can't see" ...and then a whole 6+ mins of random singing/praying.
Stuff like "I don't know how You're gonna fix this" and all this stuff but I would go back into the "over and over, you are faithful part"
Then I started thinking about our church because that was the week that The Ariolas (a family that had been a part of our church since the beginning) felt like it was time to move to the next stage of life and I knew some people were wondering how that would effect our church. And I was reminded again that "over and over He's been faithful"

Later on I was trying to think of how to make it into a song format and I was thinking maybe I could use a Psalm as inspiration. I asked God for one and I heard/thought of ;) 13. So I looked that up.

Psalm 13:
1 O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
2 How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long will my enemy have the upper hand?
3 Turn and answer me, O Lord my God!
Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die.
4 Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him!”
Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall.

5 But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
6 I will sing to the Lord
because he is good to me.

And I thought that fit pretty well with why I started singing & what I was singing.
The song has changed a bit but here it is now.

Over & Over Music
I changed the chords now that I started singing it in front of people & actually play on the 1st Fret -
Verse: [C#m, A2] & For Everything Else: [E, B, C#m, A2]
but the easier chords are below.


Em C
Long enough God, It’s been long enough
Em
Long enough God
C
I’m tired of the pain
Em C
Long enough God, It’s been long enough
Em
Long enough God
C
Can’t go through this again

G
Even when I cannot see
D Em
anything in front of me
C
I will trust in You


Cause
G
:[You love me
D Em C
You love me.....]:

G D
Over & over, You are faithful
Em C
Over & over, You are good
G D
Over & over, You are faithful
Em C

Once day I will either post a video or just a recording of the song. But for now here is the story behind the music.

No comments: